May the Ba be with us!

I keep looking for an analogy that might help better understand why I have found the passionate energy to write the past few personal – family oriented posts but am struggling greatly to step into the warm embrace of my data (translation – doctoral dissertation). As odd as it may sound, the writing of the past few blog pieces was a pleasant catharsis. I think they spoke to my love of expression, my enjoyment in writing and finding ways to speak out my thoughts and ideas. I think it helped to reassure me that I could still do it. I remember writing my Master’s thesis and I really found that a pleasant process, as well, I sometimes really get into the writing of an academic piece so I know I can write and different types of writing are OK. I even have a couple of fictional pieces that are quite far along albeit probably waiting for that same illusive shot of magical, whole-life consumption that grabs the soul and keeps the flow alive.

I have spent the better part of the past 4 years working towards this personal goal of mine; my doctorate, but I have found myself in a mental space where progress is limited. Although stopping is and never has been an option, I know that there is a piece of my passion that is not currently present so I am hoping by talking this out, by allowing my inner turmoil, my private garden of thoughts to be less hidden then maybe I will be able to use my theoretical academic premise to reflect upon my world and be used to help me move forward. Tacit understandings can be made visible and should allow for and assist in the development of new knowledge and new ideas. I have always talked out my problems and do so knowing that through this outward process I get to see what would otherwise have remained invisible on the inside.  I am hoping that, at the very least, I can view my thoughts in a different light and see how I might be able to enkindle this much-needed passion.

I fear that I may have grown beyond my current world of teaching and learning and am struggling to find something that might support my academic interests and spark a broader set of passions. I know that my academic passions are threaded throughout my daily being and I would love to find a different audience within which to generate these conversations. Being public in all of this will present its challenges but what the heck. – May the Ba be with us.

One comment

1. Excellent summary of an intriguing article Stu. As you suggest there is much from this article that can and should be transferred into an educational context. The focus though is on leadership, I am having a little more trouble seeing the teacher in this role, as we mentally apply the model to formal education.
    There is so much more passive dependency on the teacher, even in graduate level education. But I guess that just means continuing efforts needed to demonstrate that formal education is just a microcosm of the real world – and thus will need to change and evolve into models that really support distributed teaching – and maybe the ba we are working and you are researching can support this transition.
    All the best and thanks for sharing this
    Terry